Welcome to Cork University Hospital Emergency Department (ED).
We are now the largest ED in Ireland and run a busy ED Clinical Decision Unit (CDU).
You will find that the level of Consultant involvement and Consultant rounding is greater than in most other jobs.
Your hard work is vital to the success of this unit and we hope you enjoy your time with us. You are a key player and integral to the safe and efficient running of the CDU. Here are some ‘ground rules’ to help you:
- Nursing handover commences at 07.45 hrs; the intern should be present.
- It is vital that the intern works closely with the CNM in charge of the CDU and the nurses within the CDU.
- Consultant Ward Round commences at 08.00 hrs.
- Patients that are for discharge have their paperwork done during the round if at all possible – this will decrease delays to discharge.
- Radiology scans generated from the ward round should be ordered immediately after (or during) the ward round. Procedures that are generated from the ward round such as lumbar punctures can be done after these investigations, etc. have been placed on the system to avoid process delays.
- Please indicate if you have not performed a procedure requested of you; you will be instructed and supervised initially as you develop the skill.
- An electronic MS Access database containing the data on CDU is maintained by the CNM in charge of the CDU.
- Where possible please use the computers outside the nurse’s station as the computer at the nurse’s station is used by the CNM in charge for work beyond the CDU including stock ordering etc., for the whole ED.
- It is an integral role of the intern to ensure that HIPE forms /discharge forms are filled in and in a timely fashion. We recommend daily completion of this intern job. Where an intern is on annual leave or on sick leave the intern covering the unit who is the ‘Specialty Intern’ should complete this work. If this work has not been completed, the intern should highlight this and escalate this to the Consultant in charge of the unit that day. This work cannot be allowed to accumulate.