Cricothyroidotomy surgical airway
- Can be lifesaving.
- Not in children aged less than 12 years.
- Before attempting this procedure consider all other options ...particularly airway clearing manoeuvres, and intubation
- Something to clean the skin
- ± Tracheal spreader
- 6.0 ETT
- Inadequate oxygenation / ventilation
- Haemorrhage and haematoma
- Aspiration of blood
- Creation of a false passage
- Oesophageal or tracheal laceration
- Surgical emphysema
- Laryngeal stenosis
- Vocal cord paralysis
Content by Dr Íomhar O' Sullivan 13/07/2004. Reviewed by Dr ÍOS 11/02/2007. Next review Dr ÍOS 8/06/16.