Dental on-call Cover for the Emergency Department
- Dental cover is separate from plastics cover.
- If the patient requires admission for a dental related problem the dental SHO should be bleeped.
- A dental SHO is on-call from home via switch. They are covered by a dental consultant also on call from home. They will be happy to give advice or come in to see the following:
Accessing Emergency Dental Care
Registered Dental Patients
- Patients, who are registered with a dentist and have seen them within the last 13 months, should contact their own dentist.
- Their dentist should see them within 24 hours if they are in pain.
There is an emergency dental service run at CUH each day. There is no appointment system.
- Injury to tooth supporting structures without displacement of tooth.
- Pain on tooth percussion.
- Tooth stable.
- No displacement.
- Soft food for a week, gentle brushing.
- Own dentist during week.
- Injury to tooth support structures with tooth mobility but no displacement.
- Local gum (sulcus) bleeding.
- Tooth tender to percussion and may be mobile.
- Analgesia, soft food, gentle brushing.
- Will need a splint for a week so refer local dentist tomorrow or dental clinic.
- Injury to peridontal ligament so loosening and displacement of tooth.
- Tooth looks longer, off line with others.
- Tender, mobile (be gentle!).
- If root exposed, clean with saline flush then reposition tooth in socket (usually painless) then;
- Refer dental clinic (or on-call dentist) for splint.
- Tooth pushed into socket - must have alveolar fracture.
- Often associated tooth neurovascular supply damage.
- Tooth shortened.
- Usually stable.
- All need urgent (not emergency) dental review.
- If minor closed intrusion (3-7mm) may not need surgery, others will.
- Open intrusion usually needs corrective orthodontic surgery.
- Tooth knocked out of socket.
- Hold tooth by crown (white part).
- Wash briefly under cold water.
- Replace tooth and bite on cloth to hold in place.
- If can't replace, store in milk or patient's mouth (not children who may swallow the tooth).
- Dentist opinion / review now please.
- Visible chip.
- Tooth stable, not tender, normal sensation / sensitivity.
- If fragment available can be glued (dental opinion please).
- If # involves dentine (deeper #) will need nerve to be covered (dental opinion please).
- Otherwise regular dentist review.