Management of amputated digits in the Emergency Department.
- Wrap the amputated tissue in sterile gauze that has been soaked in sterile normal saline.
- Place the tissue in a specimen container.
- Attach a patient label to the specimen container.
- Place in the fridge in the resuscitation room.
- Informed consent for exploration / potential re-implantation obtained by the surgeon planning the surgery
The consent form for disposal of body tissue is stored in the post mortem request drawer at the nurse's station in the ED at CUH. The reference number is 454/V1 2002.