Surgical Assessment Unit: 08:00 - 17:00 (last referral 15:00)
Patient Inclusion Criteria – to be seen in SAU if space available
- Patients ≥16 years of age.
- Patient must be stable (NEWS < 4).
- Pain score < 5/10.
- Able to walk to SAU.
Not suitable for SAU
- Surgical patients needing resuscitation or NEWS ≥ 4.
- Trauma (Orthopaedic/Plastic).
- Non-surgical patients (Gynaecological, Medical).
- Urology patients (CDU).
- AAA or vascular emergency patients.
- Elderly / Frail.
- Infection control issues - D±V in last 48 hours, MRSA/VRE, COVID.
SAU Referral process
- Clinical referral from EM Senior Decision Maker.
- ALL investigations to be completed in the SAU.
Surgical Review in ED: 15:00 - 06:00 (06:00 - 08:00 urgent referrals)
- Referral from EM clinical team.
- All non-radiological investigations to be completed in the ED.
Standard Referral process for both pathways
- Surgical Registrar on-call, VPN 67639.
- If unavailable – Surgical SHO, VPN 62362.
Wound referrals CUH
The surgical specialties in CUH have confirmed that wound referrals will be accepted as agreed below:
- Facial wounds or burns = plastic surgery
- Limb injuries = plastics (with below considerations)
- Wounds to anterior aspect of knee should first be seen by Orthopaedics
- Tendon injuries to the lower limb should be seen/treated by Orthopaedics
- Neck = ENT
- Trunk = General or Thoracic surgery (depending on location)