- Notifiable, Severe pneumonia (10% fatality rate) caused by Legionella bacteria (L pneumophila.)
- Transmission via water aerosol
- Incubation 2 - 14 days
- Not transmitted from person-to-person
- Age, male, smoking
- Chronic lung disease
- Immunodeficiencies (incl.diabetes)
- Any severe community acquired or nosocomial pneumonia
- Sputum C&S
- Urine: Ag detection
- Dx confirmed by culture or x4 rise in serum antibodies or detection of legionella DNA by PCR
- Supportive care incl. early ventilation as required
- Beware occult dehydration and hypoperfusion
- Contact ID/respiratory team for advice about azothromycin, fluoroquinolones or macrolids.
- Inform microbiology and public health of your working Dx
Content By Dr Íomhar O' Sullivan . Last review Dr ÍOS 10/06/21.