- Circa 50% sensitive for epilepsy (higher in children)
- >99% specific
- Allows classification of seizure condition e.g.
- Generalised onset (Myoclonic/Absence/Clonic/Tonic), Partial onset (Frontal/Temporal/Occipital/Parietal)
- Simplex (Maintain consciousness), Complex (Temporal or Frontal, lose of consciousness)
- Non convulsive status (continuous partial/continuous absence)
- Allows specific aetiological diagnosis in some cases (e.g. HSV encephalitis has v characteristic EEG)
Content by Dr Íomhar O' Sullivan 27/05/2009. Last review Dr ÍOS 15/06/21.