- Rare, 1:30,000, 6% of all maternal deaths.
- Mortality rate >85%.
- Post-mortem diagnosis by meconium in the maternal lungs or
right side of the heart.
- Due to premature placental separation.
- Predisposed by tumultuous contractions with rupture of membranes
- Sudden respiratory then cardiac arrest.
- Unresolving cyanosis.
- Only possible if diagnosis suspected.
- 100% O2, intubate, CPR.
- Bloods, CVP.
- Aspirate blood from right side of heart senior staff)
- Manage coagulopathy (platelets, FFP)
- Cephradine, Metronidazole.
Content by Dr Íomhar O' Sullivan 23/06/2000. Reviewed by Dr ÍOS 12/12/2003, 12/12/2004, 01/05/2005, 30/03/2007. Last review Dr ÍOS 26/05/21.