Fasting times for Children undergoing General Anaesthetic in CUH
- Clear Fluid: 1 hour
- Breast Milk: 4 hours
- Solid food, including milk: 6 hours
- Encourage drinking of clear, non-fizzy sugar containing solutions (for example, apple juice, orange/ lemon juice/squash without particles, fruit shoot, non-fizzy sports drink, dioralyte, all non-thickened) until 1hour before theatre unless directed otherwise by the anaesthetist in charge of the case
- Approximately 3mls/kg/hour is acceptable up to a maximum of 200mls
- Times may vary according to individual anaesthetic practice and patient specific conditions
- If there is any concern or queries please discuss with the Consultant Anaesthetist in charge of the list
Perioperative fasting in children. BJA Education, Volume 17, Issue 10, 1 October 2017, Pages 346-350.
Consensus statement on clear fluids fasting for elective pediatric general anaesthesia Paediatric Anaesthesia, Volume 28, Issue 5.
Low incidence of pulmonary aspiration in children allowed intake of clear fluids until called to the operating theatre Andersson H, et al, Paediatric Anaesthesia, 2015 August, 1;25(8):770-7.
Preoperative Fasting Prior To General Anaesthesia OLCHC 2018.