Cork Emergency Departments
Brú Columbanus provides a "home from home" accommodation for the relatives of seriously ill patients in Cork Hospitals and the Hospice, in particular to relatives of sick children.
Brú Columbanus is an independent charity completely reliant on donations and fundraising initiatives to cover the running costs of the house. The accommodation is provided free of charge.
Print version: Info Sheet.
Families are referred through the ward where their relative is a patient. The Clinical Nurse Manager, her Deputy or Social Worker can make a referral if a family is eligible. Accommodation cannot be pre – booked. The referral is made on the day that the relative is admitted to the ward. Please complete the on-line referral form at brurooms.com. The CUH ED logon password is in the "Brú Columbanus" folder at nurses desk.
A family is eligible for referral if:
- Their relative is seriously ill
- They live a distance from the hospital (a minimum of 48km)
- Their relative is a long stay patient
- Special circumstances may apply for people who live nearer that need to remain near their relative overnight due to the seriousness of their condition
The decision of who stays in Brú Columbanus rests solely with the Chief Executive (Anne-Maria O'Connor) or the House Manager (Pat Meade) or her deputy in her/his absence according to the agreed criteria. The House adopts a stance of unconditional positive regard and has a policy of Equal Opportunity.
Working within these criteria we attempt to provide accommodation for families who are most in need. Demand will exceed availability and for this reason we have strict admissions criteria and must adhere to it at all times.
Special circumstances may apply for people who live nearer that need to remain near their relative overnight due to the seriousness of their condition. In this case the Manager will discuss the circumstances with the Clinical Nurse Manager in charge of the ward. If there is a room available the Manager will contact the patient's family to let them know if there is a room available.
- Each family will be assessed for accommodation independently based on information given in the referral form. It is important to give as much information as possible. Please note the referral form should always be filled in with the families consent
- If the patient is not seriously ill, but the family live a long distance from the hospital, and would be staying in B&B accommodation to be near the patient- the referral will be considered eligible depending on availability. Priority will be given to families who have a seriously ill relative in hospital
- Rooms cannot be pre-booked. We operate on a day by day basis in terms of availability
- The house manager must be notified immediately of any change in the patients condition (transfer/ discharge)
- Patients may not visit or stay in Brú Columbanus at any time
- To refer: please complete the on-line referral form at brurooms.com. The CUH ED logon password is in the "Brú Columbanus" folder at nurses desk.
- The office is open:
Mon - Thurs 8.30am to 4.30pm
Friday 9am to 4pm
Sat, Sun & Bank Holidays (incl.) Christmas Day 11am to 1pm
Facilities at Brú Columbanus
- Reception area and offices
- Reception room to check – in families
- 26 family rooms with ensuite facilities
- Kitchen and dining facilities
- Spacious living rooms
- Laundry facilities
- Recreation rooms
- Meeting rooms which can be hired out to groups for training purposes etc.
There are also two meeting rooms, a conference room, one Board Room and two smaller lounges in Brú Columbanus. The third is a larger Conference room on the second floor.