Cork Emergency Departments
- Brú Columbanus provides "home from home" accommodation to families of long term and critically ill persons who are patients of any of the Cork Hospitals and Hospice.
- This accommodation is provided free of charge.
- Brú Columbanus is an independent charity which relies totally on donations and fund raising to keep the service running
- The House is managed by Mairead Coffey, the House Manager, and she is assisted by a team of volunteers
- The Fundraiser is Breda Kenny.
- Any suggestions for Fundraising and applications for Volunteer Work are always welcomed.
- Families are referred through the ward where their relative is a patient.
- The Clinical Nurse Manager, her Deputy or Social Worker can make a referral if a family is eligible.
- Accommodation cannot be pre – booked. The referral is made on the day that the relative is admitted to the ward.
- A family is eligible for referral if their relative is 1) Critically ill 2) They live a long distance from the hospital 3) Their relative is a long stay patient
- Special circumstances may apply for people who live nearer that
need to remain near their relative overnight due to the seriousness
of their condition.
- In this case the House Manager will discuss the circumstances with the Clinical Nurse Manager in charge of the ward.
- If there is a room available the House Manager will telephone the relevant ward to give a check – in time to the family
Please do not come to Brú Columbanus until you receive confirmation that there is a room available.
Making a Referral
- Referrals are to be made through the Clinical Nurse Manager, staff nurse or social worker who will fill out a referral form if he/she believes the family meets one of the criteria necessary for referral
- Referrals are to be faxed to Brú Columbanus by 11.30am
- Fax Number is: 021 4345798
- The House Manager will telephone the relevant ward to give the family a check in time if there is a room available for them
Facilities at Brú Columbanus
- Reception area and offices Reception room to check – in families
- 24 family rooms with ensuite facilities
- Kitchen and dining facilities
- Spacious living rooms
- Laundry facilities
- Recreation rooms
- Prayer room
- Meeting rooms which can be hired out to groups for training purposes etc
|If you are concerned, please contact the Emergency Department you first attended:||MUH (021) 4271971||M-UCC at SMHC (St. Mary’s Health Campus) (021) 4926900||CUH (021) 4920200||LIU Mallow General Hospital (022) 58506||Bantry General Hospital (027) 52900|