Cork Emergency Departments
Your wound has been closed using a special blue glue.
If your wound is on your scalp
- As soon as possible wash your hair with a mild shampoo and tepid water to remove any dried blood
- Brush or comb your hair carefully - avoiding the cut
- Then leave your hair for a week to enable you cut to heal
- Do not pick
If your wound is somewhere else:
- Keep it dry for 5 to 7 days
- A scab will form which will gradually fall off once you start to wash the area again
- The use of vaseline or a similar bland moisturiser will help to keep the area soft
- The scar will take approximately 6 months to fade
- During this time it is a good idea to cover the area with sun block if it is exposed to the sun.
- This will avoid burning the scar tissue
If the wound re-opens you should return to the Emergency Department so that the wound can be looked at again.
If you are concerned, please contact the Emergency Department you first attended:
Mercy Injury Unit, Gurranabraher (021)4926900