Content based on the EMJ Article D. M. Woods, SL Greene, PI Dargan EMJ 2011
- Synthetic cathinone mephedrone (4-methylmethcathinone)
- Related to cathinone found in the Khat plant
- Potentiates the release of pre-synaptic catecholamines
- Head Shops
- Commonly known as "meow meow", "snow" or "bubbles"
- Frequently taken with other intoxicants
Clinical features include
- Systolic hypertension
- Milder: sweating, headache, palpitations, N&V and cool/discoloured fingers
- Beware airway protection if other intoxicants
- Benzodiazepines for seizures, hypertension and severe agitation
- Persistent hypertension use IV GTN (call NPIS / Toxbase)
- Symptomatic (e.g. anti-emetics ± IV fluids)
- ± CDU admission
Content by Dr Íomhar O' Sullivan 15/04/2011. Last review Dr ÍOS 8/07/19.