For use on patients suspected of opiate overdose.
- Assess ABC’s – Airway, Breathing, Circulation
- For pulseless patients, proceed to ACLS guidelines
- Apnoea with pulse – Establish oral airway and begin bag ventilation with 100% Oxygen.
- Load syringe with 2 mg (2 ml) of Naloxone and attach nasal atomizer
- Place atomizer within the nostril
- Briskly compress syringe to administer 1 ml of atomised spray
- Remove and repeat in other nostril, so all 2 ml (2 mg) of medication are administered
- Continue ventilating patient as needed
- If no arousal occurs after 5-10 minutes, proceed down standard unconscious protocol including injectable Naloxone and secure airway if necessary.