Cork Emergency Departments
The Adult Patient:
One (1) only adult accompanying person is allowed at any time for patients in the Emergency Department. Substitution and rotation of accompanying adult will be allowed as appropriate. No children under 16 years of age to accompany the accompanying adult at any time.
The Child Patient (under 16 years of age):
Children may have both parents or guardians with them at all times.
Violence and Aggression:
- The security staff under direction of the CNM reserve the right to request the change if necessary of the accompanying person in line with HSE policy on violence and aggression
- Print version
Information on Patient’s Condition.
The nursing / medical staff will continually keep the accompany person (next of kin) updated on the patients condition. This accompanying person will be the appointed contact person for the remaining family members and should make arrangements to update them throughout the patients stay in the Emergency Department.
- The immediate family of all critically ill patients will be accommodated while the patient remains critical
- In the case of adults / children with special needs who have their own carer. The carer is not counted as the accompanying adult
- In the case of infectious diseases restriction will apply as appropriate and in keeping with HSE and local policy
- Only accompanying trained Guide Dogs will be allowed
The Clinical decision Unit (CDU):
In the interest of patient care, patient personal hygiene and consultant rounds.
- One (1) only adult accompanying person is allowed at any time for patients in the CDU from 11am to 8pm
- Substitution and rotation of accompanying adult will be allowed as appropriate
- No children under 16 years of age to accompany the accompanying adult at any time
- As the patients in this unit are short stay and non critical adults under no circumstances will people be allowed to remain with them overnight in the unit
- Print version