Cork Emergency Departments
The cut on your leg is one which needs special care and can take anything between weeks and months to heal.
- We don’t always use stitches on this type of cut because the skin is usually very thin on your leg, so instead we use paper stitches called steristrips
- Your cut will heal better with a good supply of blood to it which is why we put the bandage all the way from your toes to your knee. This ensures a good even circulation to your leg
- There may be two layers of bandage, one of which should be removed at night
- Keep your bandage on until your next visit
- Keep mobile and walking around as usual
- Rest two or three times a day for half an hour each time by sitting or lying down with your legs higher than your bottom
- If you need painkillers take something like paracetamol
Don’t get your bandage wet.
Don’t stand for a long time in one position.
Please return to hospital before your next appointment if:
- Your leg bleeds heavily soaking the dressing thoroughly
- Your toes become very swollen
- You are worried about your leg for any reason at all
Doctor’s name from this consultation: